Sunday, August 28, 2011

Healing


Someone once told me that grief comes in waves, when it hits, you just have to hang on and ride it out (appropriate analogy considering this weekend’s storms). It’s true. Since my dad graduated (as a friend calls it) to his eternal home I miss him and think of him daily which brings me to tears now and then. Today, a wave hit me out of no where, as they often do. Who knew cleaning out your closet would do that?! I found one of my journals that I wrote in during my family’s vacation to Lake Powell last summer. It was our last trip with dad. It was his favorite place on earth. Thank you God for knowing what sweet memories would bless us before the difficult road that awaited us this past year! You guide us and bless us and most times we don’t even realize your hand at work.





At the end of my last journal entry of the trip I found this verse that brought me to tears today:


Psalm 73:23, Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is non upon the earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; but my God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.



I was reminded of God’s faithfulness and goodness to fulfill his promises. He never left our side through it all, and we will ALL be received into glory, in His perfect timing. Lately, I have thought how it just doesn’t make sense that He should take dad so soon. But He knows why and I trust His plan, even when it’s not what I want. Dad’s flesh and heart did fail, as the verse says, and God was faithful to give him strength. Oh the strength he had was supernatural. Everyone who watched dad go through what he did, up close or from afar, could see how something was different in this man. He was strong, he was joyful, and truly had a peace beyond understanding because he trusted God. He knew whatever the outcome, it was right and that He was there. And now, he is enjoying the presence of his Father, Friend, Savior, and Creator who is his portion forever. My heart rejoices in that. That He will fill us, sustain us, comfort us, guide us, love us, save us....forever. It is so.


1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! What a wonderful way for Eli to see his life one day.

    My family was incredibly fortunate to have shared his last trip and our first trip to Lake Powell, truly a beautiful gift from God.

    And the surfing trip (again we were blessed to have all of you visit us in California) is such a happy memory. He's carrying my dad's board, who surfed for over 50 years. They have both 'graduated' and await our arrival, probably on a perfect beach. I miss him so.

    ReplyDelete